Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 1, 2008

"There's a black fly in [my] chardonnay..."


Ok, so it's a gnat, not an actual fly. I was glad about that because I drank it anyway (after fishing the gnat out with a butter knife.) Gross, sure.. but I'm not one to waste tasty wine.

It's funny, though, how throughout my day-to-day activities I see something or say something or hear something and it reminds me of a song. It happens every day. Most of my friends are so awesome at pop culture references, Mark is too. *I* am not. But I am good at songs... especially songs from my early adulthood.

The aforementioned Alanis Morisette album came out in 1995. I was 21 and in "love" ( I use quotation marks because, until Mark, I didn't know what love was. That has nothing to do with this blog post, but whatev... I just wanted to say it.) His name was Lance and he was OMG Gorgeous. The song "You Oughta Know" was being overplayed on every radio station. Mr. OMG Gorgeous decided one snowy Saturday morning, actually it was January 6th, 1996, that I was not good enough for him. He never told me why or how he came to that conclusion... just that we were over and that's all I needed to know (fucker).

Being 21 years old and feeling clever I decided I was going to dedicate "You Oughta Know" to him every day, on every radio station, in every night club (we ran the same circles, he would eventually hear it.) until I felt that my point had been made. I don't know if he was ever affected by this behavior or not... but it made me feel better none-the-less. To this day I cannot hear that song without thinking of him and I smile.

Mark's and my song is "Darlin'" by Bambi Lee Savage. We love that song... we dance to it a lot, most every weekend. Of all the love songs in all of the world this was the one we felt most expressed our feelings toward one another. Here's why: In the move "Sling Blade" the two retarted (If you haven't seen the movie, they are genuinely mentally challenged, I'm not being ugly.) people are walking and falling in love and this song is playing in the background. We thought it was apropos that we chose that song... I mean two retards falling love? how could that *be* more right for us??? (Now I'm being ugly.)

My mom's favorite song was "Carolina in my Mind" by James Taylor. After my grandmother died, my mom played that song OVER AND OVER AND OVER again... She missed her mom so much. Then after my mom died, I refused to play it. Sometimes in the grocery store or the car I'll hear it and it's like she's hugging me or patting me on the back.

A few years back it was my Dad's birthday... I picked up the phone to call him and as his phone was ringing the song started on the radio. The way I see it, she was telling me to tell my dad Happy birthday for her. It all sounds hokey I know... but sometimes you seek comfort in whatever is readily available.

1 comment:

lagika said...

I also got dumped sometime in 95 or 96 by a guy named Larry and found it necessary to leave him voice mails in his dorm room with that same song on it. Turned out he played it for his friends and they all had laughs at my expense. I still love that song, though!