Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Is This Obnoxious?

I am reading The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver. I came across a passage where he talks about blood typing and he gives, in my opinion, grossly eroneous information. So, I emailed him. I have never done this sort of thing before. It's too late to take it back and I do not expect he'll read it, but here is what I wrote anyway.

Hello Mr. Deaver, I hope this email finds you well. I have read two of your Lincoln Rhyme books before this one and enjoy their fast-paced, interesting stories. I think the characters are so likeable, but with faults and problems, which really humanizes them to me.

I work at a hospital 45 minutes from my house, so I have a long commute. I rent books on CD from the local library system to keep me entertained on the long drives, that was how I came upon your books in the first place. I am reading paper copies (also library books) now because not very many are available to me in audio format.

I am in the beginning pages of "The Cold Moon" and I came across a part in Chapter 5 regarding blood typing. The sentence reads "... the blood, which Mel Cooper tested and found to be human and type AB positive, which meant that both A and B antigens - proteins- were present in the victim's plasma, and neither anti-A nor anti-B were. In addition, a separate protein, Rh, was present. The combination of the AB antigens and Rh positive made the victims the third-rarest blood type, accounting for about 3.5 percent of the population."

I've worked in Transfusion medicine for over 10 years, including working in a reference lab identifying difficult antibodies in plasma and finding rare blood for transfusion. The above passage regarding the blood typing has some gross errors in it. Antigens, which are proteins, are found on the red cells, not in the plasma. The Anti-A and Anti-B are antibodies, not antigens and, right, they are found in plasma.

Furthermore, the Rh factor, also a protein, but is also found only on the red cells. The absence of the factor accounts for people that are Rh negative. (i.e. O Neg, A Neg, B Neg, AB Neg.) Being AB pos is a "rare" blood type, but the Rh factor is not the reason why. Only about 15% of the population is Rh negative, the majority of those being Caucasian.

In addition, while being AB positive is rare (AB negative being the only blood type more rare), when taking transfusion needs into consideration, the patient would be able to receive ANY type of blood regardless of both the antigens present or the Rh factor.

I work night shift and my coworkers are teasing me about emailing you, I hope you do not take offense. If, for future writings, you would need any technical expertise, feel free to email me back. I'd be happy to be of help
Any thoughts? Am I a big ol' jerk?

No comments: