Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Percocet and Frosties

Ok. I admit it. I am TERRIFIED of the dentist. Like, pee myself scared. Sitting in the waiting room, holding my breath, I feel like vomiting or passing out. Yeah, it's like that.

So, about a year ago I broke the wisdom tooth on my upper left hand side. Painful, yes. But I endured... because, ya know, terrified. I am pretty sure I broke it because I was incredibly stressed out and grinding my teeth a lot at night. And also because I have a very shallow mouth and my teeth are super close together and it's extremely difficult to reach those back teeth.

Anyway, off and on for the year it has caused me some pain. It usually goes away, but when it hurts it is very intense. Well, last week it started hurting. The pain is so strong that it makes me sick to my stomach... highly reminiscent of when I am at the dentist. So, I decide FUCK IT. I'LL GO ALREADY. Only I can't remember the name of the dentist that doesn't make me piss myself when I see him.

On the radio there are always ads for this Drs White and White. I call them because I have resigned myself to either a few hours of hideous discomfort or a lifetime of oral pain. They can't get me in until Monday. Which suck, but mostly because that means all the anticipation can build up and give me time to puss out. I didn't, but I thought about it.

Ok, so I go on Monday. I walk in and they already seem to know me. Freaked me out... they called me Jennifer without my introducing myself. This is when I realize I still have my work ID on. I add this in, not because it's relative to this story, but because it illustrates how ridiculous I feel at that moment.

Sitting in the waiting room, I text message Meredith. Letting her know I'm close to puking/panicking and looking for an escape route. I don't have time for it though, as soon as I send the message they call me back. The Dental assistant's name is Joanne, but she goes by Jo. I immediately like her. This helps more than I can tell you. She gives me a mini-tour of the facility. It's beautiful, state of the art. She leads me to my room and offers me water, apple juice, anything to eat? I decline politely. I am too nervous to drink/eat anything.

I am only sitting in the chair for less than 2 minutes when the dentist walks in.

OH! I forgot to add. When I made the appt. the week before the dentist himself called me to ask me exactly what was wrong with my tooth. I explained what happened and I asked him if I could have some penicillin. I was afraid of becoming infected. I felt a little feverish, ect... Not only did he call in the pen, but he offered me narcotics if I wanted/needed them. I declined. I still have enough of my mother left in me to be wary of taking drugs from strange doctors. I regretted it over the weekend though. I will add that the pen made things better by a lot. But still... NARCOTICS!!! But I digress...

The dentist walks in, very friendly. Asks me how I'm feeling that moment... do I need anything? ect... he takes a look in my mouth and says to get some x-rays.

Anyway, fast forward... it's time to remove the tooth. To prepare me they put headphones on my ears so I could hear soothing piano music. Put sunglasses on my eyes to protect me from the bright white light. And then gave me my very first experience with Nitrous Oxide.

I'd heard bad things about nitrous... how it smelled bad, whatever. It's the GAS OF THE GODS! I <3333 it x 12389723498723498724!!! The only thing I was not crazy about was that even though my body was incredibly relaxed... my mind was still in full form. You know when you get your teeth cleaned you can hear the scraping in echoing in your head? Well even though I didn't feel anything when he pulled the tooth, I could hear it being RIPPED OUT OF MY HEAD. And yeah.... I'd rather not experience that.

SO after the procedure is over... they sit me up and GIVE ME ICECREAM! No joke! Then? He tells me to GO GET A FROSTY FROM WENDY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lastly? He gave me PERCOCET!!!!!!!

So over all, I love my dentist. He's the awesomest. I mean Percocet AND a Frosty? He knows the way to a woman's heart.

PS It's not possible to read a ton of tiny little numbers when you're enjoying the Percocet. IE don't take it at work.

Thanks to Gumbo girl for drivin' me today.

YAY DRUGS!!!

4 comments:

The Boss of this page said...

wow-that sounds like a nice dentist! but yeah drugs for sure. i've been avoiding the dentist for a year now but i don't have any cracked teeth. you must be a she-rah!

Unknown said...

Nah, more like a frightened little puppy. I'd rather have mild discomfort all the time than go to the dentist. Unfortunately it went beyond "mild".

Mar said...

I only go for cleanings. And I change dentists every year, so I dont have to be pressured into dental work. Last count, I have 9 cavities. Im a wuss.....

Portia said...

Whoa. Good story:) I love your dentist too! So glad you found him. Dentistry has come a long way..in some offices.