Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 7, 2008

TWOFER: Condesation and Gay boys with free coffees

Numero Uno: Condensation.

Last night my husband, smart man that he is, commented to me that the freezer on our relatively brand new refrigerator had recently accumulated some ice. It's not supposed to do that because it's a self-defrosting blah blah blah kind of fridge. So I go in and look at it and there are ice crystals here and there, but they're only at the edge of the freezer basket (we have a bottom freezer.)

I say to him, it's ok, the door just wasn't shut and air got in. He says that's stupid, it's a freezer, air doesn't cause ice, freezers do. I sighed, I could see that this conversation was going no where fast. And even if I explained it, he was going to argue with me, that's just who he is. But, the glutton that I am, I did it anyway. I told him.. the door doesn't get shut, the warm air from the outside seeps in mixing with the very cold air of the freezer. THEN condensation forms. Once the freezer door is shut right, or perhaps before that even, the condensation turns to, WHAT? oh, that's right! ICE! Goof ball. He still couldn't tell me I was right.

He says he doesn't understand my "need" to be right all the time. That's not it at all. I don't "need" to be anything, any of the time... I just AM. Herein lies his problem. The man fancies himself smarter than me. He proceeded to tell me last night that HE knew more about science than I do (Hi. Degree in applied science? Who do you belong to? "Jennifer" it whispers in that "I see dead people" type of voice. But I digress...) So again, he was wrong. He needs to learn just to accept that 9/10 times when we're talking about something like this, I will be right. If we were talking about a tv show or movie or anything pop cultural, HE would be right 9/10 times. It's just the way it is.

Numero dos: Gay boy and free coffee!

I stop at the WaWa every morning for coffee. I could make coffee at home, but A) I am lazy and B) I am lazy. There's a new cashier there. He's very blond, very cute, very friendly, and very gay. He reminded me of a friend I used to have named Jim. I'll get to that part in a minute.

When I get my coffee in the morning, I usually also get a nutritious breakfast item such as mini-donuts... or a muffin. Several days in a row now he has neglected to ring up my coffee. He just winks at me and tells me to have a great day! So, naturally, I adore him.

He said to me yesterday "You're too pretty not to smile. If you're going to come in here each morning, you're going to have to put a smile on that face." Being told you're pretty by a gay boy is infinitely more rewarding than being told you're pretty by a straight boy. Here's why. Stereotypically, gay boys have a better appreciation for all things beautiful. Also, they're looking at you as a person, not as a conquest. So if one of them thinks you're pretty, it's because he really thinks that... not because he wants an all-pass access to your vajaja. Ya know?

So free coffee, gay boy compliments, and always being right is a great great way to start a day!!!

So my friend Jim.... I met him when I was 18 or 19, not sure. He was so cute, but my girlfriend liked him and his friend liked me, so that's how we all ended up. We spent several weekends like that, it was great. Then we all just broke up for whatever reason. (He came out of the closet a few years later.) Except Jim and I seemed to maintain a friendship via snail mail and phone calls. For several years we were friends. Then he moved out to Arizona and I saw him one more time, for lunch. I haven't seen or talked to him since.

Until last night. I FOUND HIM! On myspace of course. I am so excited. I had such a crush on him, he just always made me comfortable with myself. He used to tell me I was pretty too. He was so cute. I looked at some of his pictures on myspace.. he's STILL cute! Awww... I sent him a PM... hopefully he'll respond. We'll see. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't!

6 comments:

Robbyn said...

When will guys realize they would be so much better off just admitting we are right all the time! (or at least letting us think we're right, even if we're not;)

Gay boys really are a girl's best friend, aren't they? I lost touch with one of mine when I started dating Kev (kinda had something to do with the big-time crush I had on the gay boy before he was out and the close friendship we had after, but I digress...) It's great to rediscover old friends, though. Hope Jim gets back in touch soon!

Unknown said...

Me too, Robbyn. Me too. I had a huge crush on my friend too. But we'd drifted apart prior to Mark and I getting together. I doubt he'd have had an issue with it though. Jim was so great!

Mar said...

So did he respond?? I always wanted a gay male friend....I was so excited this year when I got a female gay friend. A first for me! I have gay cousins, but its not the same.

and my DH is the same way, Im smarter than you, why do you bother arguing with me, Im always right. Depending on my mood, I decide whether or not to pick the battle.

Whats a Wawa??

Unknown said...

Mar, WaWa is a gas station. Sort of like a souped up 7-11 or do you have Sheetz?

He hasn't responded. But I used my stalking capabilities and he hasn't been on Myspace since before I sent the message (like a day or two before.) So I will not give up hope yet. I think he'll respond. We really were good friends, at least I thought we were.

Portia said...

Must be a thing. Men have considered themselves the authority on everything outside of the domestic realm forever, and evidently we used to let them.

I like how your crush made you feel comfortable with yourself. Mine always had the COMPLETE opposite effect somehow.

Unknown said...

Honestly, if he weren't gay as the day is long and I weren't extremely happy to be married to the man I'm with... I'd probably be quaking in my boots and avoiding the WaWa altogether! ha!!